As a follow-up for sales training seminars that I lead, I like to ping select reps a few months down the line to see how they’re doing and if they need any advice.
Lately, consistently, I’m being asked for a great ‘hack’ … as if there is one magic formula to make sales go up.
It’s easy to say you must work harder, but that’s not true. Hard work doesn’t equate to success necessarily (though it’s part of the formula). More often, I suggest that a sales rep embraces professionalism and takes it to the next level.
There is no harm in being more professional, which means:
- You do what you say you’ll do, plus a little more.
- You show up on time, which means early.
- You dress well and look sharp.
- You don’t talk smack about other companies or sales reps.
- You look people in the eye when you talk.
- You embrace challenges and find solutions.
- You talk about bigger goals and plans, not just the next sale.
- You listen more than you talk.
If there is one hack, it’s embracing professionalism. Everyone can do it, no matter where they’re currently at professionally.
Try it out. You might be surprised by what it does to you.